New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 S roshdestvom!

Author: John T Owens  (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date:   01-05-04 10:47

Can anyone tell me: do all Russians celebrate Jan.7 as Christmas, or only our Orthodox friends? I am confused by the variation in dates, but I suppose that only a few years ago there was almost no celebration of the Holiday. Am I correct? I would like to know something of the traditions that are observed on the Holiday. Do people exchange gifts? And do kids get their gifts from Grandfather Frost?
In America, the Holiday has become somewhat of a pagan festival, but some of us like to keep the old ways. In my own family a sweet bread was baked, a stollen it is called, of German origin, full of butter and eggs and calories, but oh so good.
In many of our towns the Christmas Midnight Mass has been replaced by an earlier service. Some thought the late hour was dangerous, although I never heard of anyone being hurt after the service. It was a nice way to meet girls, but hardly any of our young people go to church these days.
I live in a city which is the home of Harvard University, one of the very best schools in the world. I am interested to see that among these bright young students there is considerable interest in religion, and I see very few of the ladies registered on our website calling themselves "atheist".
I lived near a Ukrainian neighborhood in New York and know how faithful they were to the old religion, but the Russian reaction is a surprise to me. After so many years of subjugation, the old faith still lives.
I said to one girl on our site," I see you wear a beautiful cross". She replied "yes, I'm just a peasant". I found her answer so touching and so revealing. The strength of the Russian people has won the admiration of the entire world. Udachi, ee s novim godom! Vanya

Reply To This Message  |  Flat View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Topics Author  Date
 S roshdestvom!  
John T Owens 01-05-04 10:47 
 Re: S roshdestvom!  new
Irina 01-06-04 01:33 
Irina 01-06-04 04:26 
John T Owens 01-06-04 09:50 
Irina 01-08-04 05:30 
tann 01-06-04 23:21 
Irina 01-08-04 01:40 
Lily 01-08-04 14:41 
John T Owens 01-08-04 14:48 
Lily 01-10-04 10:23 

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search 
 Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.