New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 S roshdestvom!

Author: John T Owens  (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date:   01-05-04 10:47

Can anyone tell me: do all Russians celebrate Jan.7 as Christmas, or only our Orthodox friends? I am confused by the variation in dates, but I suppose that only a few years ago there was almost no celebration of the Holiday. Am I correct? I would like to know something of the traditions that are observed on the Holiday. Do people exchange gifts? And do kids get their gifts from Grandfather Frost?
In America, the Holiday has become somewhat of a pagan festival, but some of us like to keep the old ways. In my own family a sweet bread was baked, a stollen it is called, of German origin, full of butter and eggs and calories, but oh so good.
In many of our towns the Christmas Midnight Mass has been replaced by an earlier service. Some thought the late hour was dangerous, although I never heard of anyone being hurt after the service. It was a nice way to meet girls, but hardly any of our young people go to church these days.
I live in a city which is the home of Harvard University, one of the very best schools in the world. I am interested to see that among these bright young students there is considerable interest in religion, and I see very few of the ladies registered on our website calling themselves "atheist".
I lived near a Ukrainian neighborhood in New York and know how faithful they were to the old religion, but the Russian reaction is a surprise to me. After so many years of subjugation, the old faith still lives.
I said to one girl on our site," I see you wear a beautiful cross". She replied "yes, I'm just a peasant". I found her answer so touching and so revealing. The strength of the Russian people has won the admiration of the entire world. Udachi, ee s novim godom! Vanya

Reply To This Message

Re: S roshdestvom!

Author: Irina  (62.183.50.---)
Date:   01-06-04 01:33

Vanya or John!
In Russia all celebrate Jan.7 as Christmas. And not only Orthodox christian - ateists, moslem, catholic or protester christian - all Jan. 7 repose. Yes, you right, a few years ago there was almost no celebration of the Holiday - official, state. But people celebrate. This was one more ground for festive supper. In Russia celebrate in night with 13 on 14 Januar as old New Year. And else 19 as Christening. ? ?????? ???????? ?????? (? 1 ?? 14) ???????? ?????????. ????? ?????????? 6 ?????? ????????? ???????? ????? ? ????? ????? ?????, ???????? (???? "???????" - ??????????? ?????) ? ????????. And even at soviet time we, then else children, went on house and ??????????. I write and on russian, you him know (as i understand).

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-06-04 04:26

All-all-all, who celebrate Christmas Jan.7!
S nastupajuschim roshdestvom vas!!!
Marry Crismas!!!
Good luck you, happy and big-big LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-06-04 09:50

Dear Irina,
You are such a faithful correspondent. Thank you for explaining the Holiday customs.
I think for the first two weeks of January Russia is on one big party!
In the old days we too sang "kolyadkee", going from house to house to receive a piece of cake and some punch. If one sang at enough houses one got very " happy".
Customs change but the traditions are important to remember.

Reply To This Message

Author: tann  (---.quantum.ru)
Date:   01-06-04 23:21

Hello John,

January, 7 was oficially settled as a holiday just some years ago and I don't think many people really celebrate this day, although they are happy to have an additional day off :) The New Year eve on the 31st is still the most important here and some still traditionally celebrate "The Old New Year" on the 13th as Ira mentioned. Strange name "The Old New Year", right? :) It happened because of changing calendar may years ago when January, 14 was January, 1 in Russia.
This night from 13 to 14 was traditionally used for fortune-telling. You know these funny things with candles or cards. Young girls wanted to know when they would meet their fiance :) I am not sure if anyone is still doing that these days.

Take care and a Happy New Year!
Tatyana

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-08-04 01:40

Tahya!
I not know as you, but we allways celebrated 13 Jan. "The Old New Year". And child, and student, and when i married. and now when i in divorce. 31 Dec. we celebrate on home with family, but 13 Jan. with friends.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-08-04 05:30

Dear John!
Thank you. You are a pleasing collocutor, why and not to speak to you.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lily  (---.hq.telecet.com)
Date:   01-08-04 14:41

Hi John,
I come from a multiethnic and multireligious region of Russia. The prthodox Christmas IS an official holiday, a day off for all, but celebrated by the Orthodox. And it has not been commercionalized as the Western Christmas yet? fortunately. Most people who keep the holy day prefer to go churches, you can observe the mess on TV.
I guess some gifts may occur, but most of the gists have already been presented for the New Year, which is the "pop" holiday.
Well, what else. My family is Muslim, but I have a deep respect for Christmas and do feel the magic of the Christmas season.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-08-04 14:48

Dear Lily,
Thank you for the information. Isn't it wonderful news that Pakistan and India are ready to talk about peace? The Muslims I know are all delightful people, good to know. We have several families in our neighborhood here in New England. No matter what the religion, the fanatics therein are not be emulated. S novim godom, John

Reply To This Message

Author: Lily  (---.hq.telecet.com)
Date:   01-10-04 10:23

Dear John:
Thanks for your wishes and tolerance. I'm awfully sorry for my misprintes in the last message, especially calling the Mass - the mess. :(
Luckily, you didn't pay much atention to it.
News about India and Pakistan is good. Let's hope these people will become united and peaceful again, as they used to be ONE people once.
Lily

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.