New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Do you write in slang?

Author: Lance  (---.seattle-07rh16rt.wa.dial-access.att.net)
Date:   08-10-05 07:45

I wonder how many guys writing letters actually pay attention to what they write and how they write. Every day we use slang, idioms, and complex sentence structure and I have to think that's extremely difficult for Russian women to read. Here's a sentence written by a fellow english speaker. See if you can figure out what he's saying.

"Mate, it should be Buckley's that you get berko and spit the dummy over a galah that's chuckin' a wobbly and mad as a two bob watch... there's no need to get zonked over a drongo. Just shut up shop, rest ya gob, crack open a tinnie and Bob's ya uncle... she'll be apples. Ooroo."

Reply To This Message

Re: Do you write in slang?

Author: Andrew  (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date:   08-10-05 10:02

You sound like an Aussie Lance :))

Reply To This Message

Author: Gabriel Magana  (---.dsl.anhm01.pacbell.net)
Date:   08-10-05 10:03

LOL! I do not write slang, but someone actually asked me to avoid combined words as well (i'm, would've, etc...) because they seem to give trouble to translator programs.

I make so many spelling mistakes on the first try that I try to proofread everything too.

Reply To This Message

Author: tann  (---.quantum.ru)
Date:   08-10-05 17:22

Good theme, Lance.
I will give you another example also written by an English fellow:

"U r certainly right that i seek some1 faithful & that i can trust but that doesnt come easy 4 me. I think that we r all equal & i am not better than anybody else. I am not conventional & dont care 4 rules 2 much but have respect 4 others & dont like 2 upset anybody. bla bla bla"

I understand this of course but I am not that one who uses translating programs :) Though I also had to concentrate a lot reading this sort of letter. Letter?!!
When I asked what's the reason to use so much symbols, I've got the answer that it was quicker... in my interpretation: "I care more of my own comfort then yours" Well...

Reply To This Message

Author: Mixtli  (128.221.4.---)
Date:   08-10-05 18:01

English is not my first language so I never had a chance to learn slang as much as I wanted to :)

I don't like when people write with "different" words like: "Hi I wanna met u, cuz u r nice"... I don't think this qualify as slang anyways.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 18:09

Tann, that piece of "writing" is just attrocious! It is wrong at so many levels! How can anyone that writes "some1" just to save two keystrokes sleep at night?

Plus it's kind of funny that the guy does not care for rules too much, yet has respect for others. One could say that rules of society exist to enforce a minimal level of respect for each other.

I also think that part of the impression one makes on the other person is how one writes... If you are a native English speaker and you do not know the difference between "2", "to", "too", and "two," it's going to be hard to convince the other person that you have smarts somewhat above of a brick. Seriously, as you read the quote, does "intelligent" pop up as one of the attributes of the writer?

There are few worse things in life than having to read something like the letter fragment you posted!

Reply To This Message

Author: Daria  (---.sochitel.ru)
Date:   08-10-05 18:26

tann wrote:
>When I asked what's the reason to use so much symbols, I've got the answer that it was quicker... in my interpretation: "I care more of my own comfort then yours"<

Very polite and well educated guy (indignantly)....

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 18:39

So relevant topic! :)
I just got a letter:

>Hey ...Whaddup? ...Whachadoin? ...hehe, these are some terms th@ I may use when I ch@ with U! Whaddyareckon? ...Don't be afraid, it's just how I go about expressing myself, but be prepared, as I'm not going to act how I think U want to perceive me!!! This means th@ if I have an opinion, whether it be right or wrong, I'm going to say it(...or ...errr ...type it!)! I don't hold back, and my honesty is unbridled to the extent th@ I won't lie to U(which may be to my own undoing, but SO BE IT!)!........ <

(rolling eyes)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 18:47

Hehehe! Now that's what I call a jerk!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 19:00

Daria, your guy has beaten all records! I suggest Cambridge education? :)

Gabriel, what did you mean: "to save two keystrokes sleep at night"? Didn't get it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance  (---.boeing.com)
Date:   08-10-05 19:55

Tann, it's ironic that in a thread about avoiding idioms, Gabriel was successful in using an idiom to confuse you!! :))

Gabriel, do you understand? Our daily speach is full of idioms and unless we actually stop and think about what we are writing, the result is confusion.

Tann, Daria, I think if a man is serious about you then he would put effort into his communication. It should be clear, and concise. It can tell you a lot about how he thinks and how he would treat you later. If he puts little effort into communicating with you, how much effort will he put into the relationship? The answer is probably "very little."

Yet, if he is clear and honest and writes well, then maybe this is someone who is serious and intelligent and worth your time. If he talks endlessly about himself, maybe he is in love with himself? If he never talks about himself, what is he trying to hide? You can learn so much if you communicate, communicate, communicate.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 20:18

No-no, I thought it should be an idiom and was curious about its meaning. I even thought to run a thread about idioms but think it will be more useful if you use them in conversations from time to time and give some explanations.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 20:29

I agree Tann, but how often does that happen?

It is possible for english speakers to write proper english. The man who wrote the paragraph I quoted writes and speaks english as well as I do. It's more about being considerate AND putting effort into our communication. It is more work to think about what you are writing and how you are writing, to ensure that it will be well understood. Someone who is serious will put much more effort into their communcation than someone who is here to play games.

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (---.dialup.itte.kz)
Date:   08-10-05 21:52

Could anybody translate all these letters here for understanding of this slang for Russian? Thank you in advance, Elena.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 22:01

TANN, no less than master's degree ;) He is Australian and I noticed people from there are lazy about speaking standard English, they murder the language.

LANCE, here you are absolutely right that letters show sender's attitude towards addressee. It is not polite to use idioms/slang (especially symbols) in the first letter. As for me I do not reply to them or just write that he is not my 'type' of men. But I do not mind to use slang and idioms and learn about them later (for example after a month or two of correspondence) because I am interested in it though my English is not so good.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 22:40

Daria, the paragraph I quoted is from an Australian man, full of Australian slang. Each english speaking country has it's own slang. Americans, Canadians, English, Australian, Irish, Scotts, Welsh, all have their own slang. Even within the US, I have trouble understanding some people.

Also, Daria your english skills are excellent and ????? ??? ??? ?????????? ???????? ??????!

Elena, the letter to Daria is so full of idioms, slang and contractions, I would not even know where to begin. Yes, I understand it completely. It's actually a combination of idioms and slang from many different english speaking cultures. I think he was trying to be funny or clever, and possibly show his knowledge of the world. Yet, because he completely failed to consider the reader, he is neither funny, nor clever. Instead of showing his knowledge of the world, he makes it clear that he's ignorant. I am certain his knowledge comes from watching too much television. Someone should write and tell him to leave his mother's house and experience life. ;)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-10-05 23:12

Thank you LANCE (blushing).
Oh oh a curious coincidence! The same country! :))

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 00:03

Nope. Mine was pure English! :)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 01:17

Elena

I will try to translate the best I can

"Mate, it should be Buckley's that you get berko and spit the dummy over a galah that's chuckin' a wobbly and mad as a two bob watch... there's no need to get zonked over a drongo. Just shut up shop, rest ya gob, crack open a tinnie and Bob's ya uncle... she'll be apples. Ooroo."

Mate = My friend
Buckleys = No chance (from the saying Buckleys and none)
Berko = Over react (Berco is a brand of water boiler so it could mean to boil over - get upset)
Spit the dummy = When a child spits out its dummy and starts to scream.
Galah = A funny Australian Bird (Parrot) If someone is acting silly we say he is a Galah.
Chukin a Wobbly = Is when someone has a tantrum, gets very upset and moves his boddy about - Wobble.
Mad as a two Bob watch = His mind runs like an inexpensive time piece.
Zonked = Usually refered to someone who is Drunk or very Tired, his brain is out of its normal Zone.
Drongo = Is a stupid person.
Shut up Shop = Close the Store or give up.
Rest ya Gob = Gob is Slang for mouth, to rest your mouth or stop talking.
Crack open a tinnie = Is to open a can of Beer, the crack is the sound it makes when you pull the lid to open.
Bobs ya Uncle = Everything is as it should be
She'll be apples = Everything will be OK
Ooroo = Goodbye

So translated it roughly says -

My friend, there should be no reason for you to over react and get upset over a silly man who is having a tantrum and is crazy, there is no need to loose your mind because of this Idiot. Just give up, rest you mouth and have a Beer then everything will be as it should be, everything will be OK.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 01:40

Daria

I agree with you to a point.

To use Slang with someone who will not understand is rude, but Slang also paints a picture of an event like no other normal or correct wording can do. Australian Slang uses many words and meanings that are unique to the land and some of our greatest Australian writers and poets use it to tell a story or tail. I am sure in Russia you have your slang also.

Andy

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 06:49

>Gabriel, what did you mean:
>"to save two keystrokes sleep at night"? Didn't get it.

Hi Tann,

I meant that someone who corrupts language so bad by typing "some1" instead of "someone" should have trouble sleeping at night for having written so awfully!

For what it's worth, I think that using idioms is almost unavoidable if you are speaking or writing informally, unless one filters the written prose very, very well!

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance  (12.72.249.---)
Date:   08-11-05 07:14

Gabriel, that is exactly what I do. I go back and filter and rewrite. It's really hard to extract all the idioms and slang, but I think it is important if you want to communicate clearly. Russians do it to me sometimes, and I have to sit and think for a long time to try to understand what was said.

For instance, I read this: So what for ?????? ?? ???? ????? ?????? ????????

What is that supposed to mean?

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 07:25

Hehehe Lance, the first time I had to figure out what the translator told me I gained much, much respect for the ladies that are dependent on such programs to communicate, and do us the favor of dealing with the translation themselves.

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (---.dialup.itte.kz)
Date:   08-11-05 11:07

Andrew, thank you very much for your so good explanation, really it's absolutely impossible to understand this slang without any help.:))

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 11:09

"?????? ?? ???? ????? ?????? ???????"
I would be surprised if it's written by a girl. If it so I must say she speaks in a gross manner.

Well I will try to translate it:
"?????? ?? ???? ?????" - to make a long trip and to waste time.
"?????? ???????"- to have difficulties in life
Seems to me she or he is afraid of difficulties and does not like to get over them.
----------------------------
ANDY of course we Russian use our slang and idioms. I wrote about your country because when I get letters from this country in each letter there are a lot of slang. I hear slang from your country more often than from American for example. So I draw a conclusion Australian like to use it very much.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 11:11

Sorry ANDREW in a hurry I named wrong

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 11:17

Yes Daria I see what you mean, the funny thing is mostly people here talk normally (apart from obvious accent). There are exeptions where you will get heavy slang but not often, maybe they are trying to impress you, who knows.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 11:20

Andy, Andrew, Andreas are all fine. My Birth name is Andreas but friends call me Andy or Andrew and Greek family call me Andreas ;-)

Elena, anytime.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-11-05 11:54

Lance wrote:

> For instance, I read this: So what for ?????? ?? ???? ????? ?????? ????????

Oh my...!!! :)) It's rather not a common phrase.
"What's the reason to go so far for nothing?" I think this was the meaning.

I think it's not bad to use idioms in letters, sometimes it's quite interesting to hear. But if I use them, I always give explanations.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.