New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Ok, I'm new here...

Author: John Kellar  (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date:   04-27-06 21:40

Hi All,
I'm new on here and have only decided to try this route after having spent a year in the Ukraine back in the '80s (former Naval Liason). Now I know everything is different, the Orange Revolution, and the break up of the old USSR.
But...I fell in love with the people.
Now to the heart of this post, almost every one of these thread topics concerns "scamming". After having read most of this, I would think that you could avoid almost all of it with a little prudence.
That may be a naive stance or statement, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you like someone, trade a few e-mails and then GO SEE HER, it is much harder to lie to your face than it is over the 'net.
The last I checked (this week in fact) the price for the flight to Odessa and a reasonable hotel (the Palace del Mar) is only about $6000.00USD (give or take a couple of hundred dollars) for the round-trip flight and 2 week stay. We've all (us "grey beards" (smile)) have dropped that much on someone much closer to home that we thought we loved, I don't even want to THINK about what my divorce cost!

I also note that some seem to have a problem with wanting someone younger than they, I do (not 20! my daughter is 20!) but from 26 on up seems reasonable to me, again, I could be a complete fool here. And if you think I am (being a fool, not a FOOL) then let me know. Heck, it has been over a year since I've been on a real date here in the states, not from lack of opportunity, just lack of desire for the women I have met on my part.

Anyway, if your really looking for someone that seems like a very small price to pay.

If that is totally off-base please correct me, as this dating forum is a little odd (e.g. meeting someone without really meeting them, if that makes any sense).
Thanks for any reasonable voices of experience and constructive input.

Reply To This Message

Re: Ok, I'm new here...

Author: Blaine  (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date:   04-27-06 22:23

Welcome John!! This forum is an ideas and information exchange--other wise you are correct about just going there and be damned with all this nonsense. I have learned more about the ladies from this site,and am much better prepared for my own journey... Everybodies timing is a little different it seems. I do not know about 6000 dollars--I think you can get a much better price--and you,John,can get a business flight price? A little more economical-but I do understand why you would not want to cut corners for a 30 hour flight. There are many men who simply have not had any experience in their quest for FSU companionship,so the topics and postings do go around in circles,and the ladies here definitely get tired of reading about insincere women. They want to hear more poetry!! It really is not that hard to spot the con-women in this site,and it is always better to just get over it and move on. There is a lot of information in this site--it is not limited to this forum. Enjoy!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Andy  (---.63-199-68.atginternet.com)
Date:   04-27-06 23:02

Hay John! Austin Hmmm, my youngest just graduated from San Marcos Academy, a year ago next week.
I will be in Ukraine on the 8th of May, in Kiev. I have been going sense 02. I think you will save some money if you stay in an apartment, while you are there, and I would check with Vega Travel, on the plane ticket, unless you want to fly "up front" I hardly ever pay over 1500 usd for ticket, and usually less. Apartments are anywhere from 40 a day up to 100, depends on your life style. If you would like to talk about it, you can mail me on here, from profile

Reply To This Message

Author: James  (---.cmbrmaor.covad.net)
Date:   04-28-06 04:45

Hi John, at the risk of upsetting another user, posting information here regarding scammers I think is ok. The scammers send hundreds if not thousands of emails, trolling for the unsuspecting and/or uniformed marks to defraud. So the more warnings on the net the better, maybe the scammers will start to fade away if they start to need to send tens of thousands of messages to find a willing mark. Your comment about a face to face meeting is valid - but it is still possible to go and meet someone who is a professional bunko artist. Most people do have a harder time tellng a lie face to face, but some folks also, unfortunately, possess this "talent". Bill Clinton comes to mind - as well as the scammer I hooked up with in Gomel, Belarus in 2004. She took me face to face, not via email. But there are still real people trying to make real connections here on the net - you just have to be willing to be careful and take time. I will be in Moscow the first week of July to spend time with what I believe is a very nice lady I met in another site. So good luck to you, I wish you well.

Reply To This Message

Author: John  (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date:   04-28-06 13:19

Great guys,
Thanks for the input. I will take all of your advice under "advisement" as it were (smile).
Really thanks, Andy, I may take you up on your offer. Especially the Apt since it might be more convenient, although I will probably fly business class anyway...if I gotta sit on these "old" bones for thirty hours, I'm gonna be comfortable!
Do you guys have a preference for Cities (in the Ukraine), and are the new travel rules for the Ukraine pretty reasonable in practice?
Travel in Russia seems to be the same old pain in the a**, at least after talking to the embassy in houston about a multiple entry visa.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.