New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Russia and Uzbekistan - Money

Author: Tony Harper  (---.buckscc.gov.uk)
Date:   07-21-06 06:37

???á??????
Zdrastvooy

??? ????? ?????? ??????????

Money
I would like some advice on currency, what to take (Rubbles, Dollars, Euro, Pounds) and how much and in what from, travellers cheques or cash into Russia. The same applies with Uzbekistan; I will stay in Kirov, Tashkent, and not planning of travelling further a field on my own.

All accommodation has been paid in advance but for one night to be spent in Moscow on my last night in Russia. (I am feeling now that this will be a sad night for me as I think that I will have so much to reflect on and would not want to leave)

I only require money for transportation and subsistence for two. I know the question is like asking, “How long is a piece of string” No, I am not a sugar daddy, No I am not trying to impress with untold wealth I do not have any besides it is not my way). Just want a spend two weeks in two counties as a ”normal” person doing “normal” things with “normal” people getting to know each other and may be becoming “special” people!

Photography
Are there any precautions that I should observe when in Russia and Uzbekistan other than the normal respect and courtesy that should always be given? I have spent 4 years in Saudi Arabia working and I am aware of photographic restrictions of airports, oil refineries, and official buildings, in side churches and mosques as well as respect for members of the public. I will be taking a small digital not a large SLR camera around my neck! (Reading the above, I think I have answered my own question, but I will ask in case I have overlooked something)

Political Conflicts
I am aware of the current “David and Goliath” conflict that the West supports in Lebanon. I wondered if this might affect my trip to Uzbekistan. I know of the Uzbek government view on such matters. Any advice other then keeping a low profile and not to go? A stubborn little horse that I am, because I am still going.

My very sincere apologies for my first ever attempt to write Russian, it is hard, but I have to say parts seem to be slotting in to place! I hope I have not offended anyone because that again is not my way of doing things.

I have been studying a talk/write Russian course and have come across the following: ??? ???????? (Seems a strange question for a “teach your self” course, I would not go up to a woman in the UK and ask are you married? Still it might useful)

Imagine, what do you think would happen when I am in Moscow soon; I have this card with ??? ??????? or I ask every woman the question, do you think I would be locked up in 5 minutes? I could claim to be a descendant of Yuri Nikulin!

Tony in the UK
(Granddad, better than being Baba Yaga! I like to dream of myself as being “Ivan the Fool” I will my firebird! I make no apologies for my sense on humour, which can be dry, satirical, or childish it is just me being natural, which is refreshing don’t you think?)

Reply To This Message

Re: Russia and Uzbekistan - Money

Author: John  (63.98.81.---)
Date:   07-21-06 19:34

Tony,
I don't know about you, but I set up a SWIFT account for currency and then used the conversion services of the hotels themselves. If you are staying in a hotel then that should be fine. For Russia rubles work better than Euros or US dollars for some things, and not for others! (smile) I know that in Uzbek you can use US dollars in some places, but it might get you mistaken for an American and I don't think you want that, although given the current world situation I would suggest an extremely low profile. No white tenni's! You can only bring in a certain amount in cash, you'll have to check the local embassies web site to see how much, since it varies by country of origin. If your going to Tashkent you should be fine if you stay away from any of the religous sites or most of the local cafes. I know that is a pain but it is the way it is now. You'll love Kirov and Tashkent, I don't know what your financial situation is but you should hire, through your embassy! (I really mean that, don't use a service that is not recommended by your embassy) a good guide at least for the first few days to get the lay of the land. You can also email the embassy (UK) in the country and ask for guidance from them.
Good luck. If you want to talk off-line drop me a message on my profile and we can exchange war stories through our emails.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.