New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Learning Russian

Author: James  (---.dsl.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date:   07-29-05 17:36

If you want to learn some russian in say 1 week, then you should start with Pimsleur Russian - 8 lessons, on ebay $14-15, from bookstore $25. If you study each lesson (is 30 mins each) and you study each lesson 2-3 times (takes 45 mins each), and you can finish in 7-10 days. Then you have some basic russian.

I will be interested in any one elses thoughts about best courses for studying russian.

The best way is to go there and attend language school, but not everyone has the time to do this.

Reply To This Message

Re: Learning Russian

Author: Lance  (---.boeing.com)
Date:   07-29-05 18:23

Pimsleur is an excellent way to start. Books will also be necessary because you have to learn to read the language as well, in addition to learning some grammer. If you continue with Pimsleur, I recommend that you go to the local library where you might be able to check out the cassettes for free. The advanced courses can get very expensive.

If you want to get to a point of basic, conversational Russain, you WILL need a tutor. Pimsleur and books are not enough. If you know some Russian in your area, ask around. Look and/or post in the classifieds. Many who come here have teaching degrees, and in my opinion they are the best language tutors.

All this assumes, as James said above that you want to learn quickly and do not have the time or the schedule to attend a language school.

Reply To This Message

Author: Liliya  (---.uzpak.uz)
Date:   07-29-05 18:48

James maybe this sites will help to you
http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/102217.htm
http://www.languageresourceonline.com/group.asp?grp=305
and if you will need to get russian lanquage on your PC try this link www.nc.uz/MUI.zip

if you have any questions write me... :)

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul  (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date:   07-29-05 18:56

All this information is greatly appreciated James, Lance, Liliya and Blaine.
I really want to learn Russian.

Someone once told me the language is derived from the Greek language, anyone know if this is correct?

Reply To This Message

Author: Nadya  (---.ukrlink.net.ua)
Date:   07-29-05 19:33

James, may I ask you? Why are you learning Russian? What reason is? I am Russian , I fond of Russian very well and I can say to you. It is a very hard language. Not many Russians know Russian language perfectly. I imagine how it is hard for foregnersl

Reply To This Message

Author: Liliya  (---.uzpak.uz)
Date:   07-29-05 20:22

Nadya wrote: "... Not many Russians know Russian language perfectly...."

because they are was lazy... I don't mean older people, I am talking about young people who had and have possibility to learn....

The devil is not so black as he is painted ..... :)

You are right if want to learn this laguage, if you want to found someone special for you from FSU and you need to know more.... like and we are learn english... english language also hard but it doesn't stop and doesn't prevent to us to study it.... :)

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (---.dialup.itte.kz)
Date:   07-29-05 21:44

Paul, many Russian letters have been taken from the Greek alphabet (so it has more old age than Russian one) and you can still find the same letters in both languages.

Reply To This Message

Author: James  (---.dsl.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date:   07-29-05 21:46

Nadya i learn russian for work - i work in oil and gas industry and i do international tax, so languages is big advantage. I also learn german as well.

Also, speaking russian makes it easier for me when i come to Kyiv (when i hopefully will meet 1 girl) because i feel very comfortable since i can speak russian, and it makes me feel more confident and it is easier for me to meet and speak to people.

Yes russian is tough language to learn, but i enjoy it, because for example the word "to go" has so may different ways of saying it, same as "I have" and you try and learn which is correct way to say words. '

Reply To This Message

Author: Gabriel Magana  (---.dsl.anhm01.pacbell.net)
Date:   07-30-05 09:22

A little info about the cyrillic alphabet and its origins: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cyrillic.htm

Reply To This Message

Author: Zhanna  (195.82.5.---)
Date:   07-31-05 18:54

For me the most interesting is to find some similar idioms in Russian and English. Usually there are more differencies.
For example on this forum I found "to put my 2 cents" and in Russian we have "vstavit' svoi 5 kopeek". Funny :-).

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul  (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date:   07-31-05 19:02

Thanks for that interesting link Gabriel.

Elena, do your history books mention the Scythians very much?

Zhanna, I remember my grandmother having fun with the English and Russian language translations, you just reminded me her, thanks. :-)

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (---.dp.arna.kz)
Date:   08-04-05 19:03

To Paul: I suppose that our history books don't mention the Scythians at all. So in the end of 3 century A. D. the Scythian reign was partly destroyed with German tribes (gothes and others) what have been coming from Baltic region. And only near 5-6cc. A. D. Slavonic tribes were moving in that territory. The more so Slavonic alphabet had arisen too much later...

Reply To This Message

Author: Blaine  (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date:   08-04-05 19:18

The man who is given credit for the Russian alphabet--St.Cyril--is he given a holiday or a day of recognition?

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.