New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Translation please?

Author: Anders  (---.skane.se)
Date:   01-30-04 05:09

Yesterday I got a message in russian, which I can´t understand at all.
Anyone who can help me?
Probably just a note that the lady is not interested.
Cheers

"Ïðèâåò. Ê ñîæåëåíèþ ÿ íå ãîâîðþ ïî-àíãëèéñêè, íî â áëèæàéøåå âðåìÿ ñîáèðàþñü âûó÷èòü. Ó ìåíÿ âñå íîðìàëüíî. ß ñòóäåíòêà, ó÷óñü â óíèâåðñèòåòå íà ýêîíîìè÷åñêîì ôàêóëüòåòå. Êîãäà çàêîí÷þ,òî ïîåäó â ñòîëèöó ìîåé ñòðàíû- â ãîðîä Ìèíñê. Ñëûøàë î Ãîìåëå èëè Ìèíñêå?"

Reply To This Message

Re: Translation please?

Author: Irina  (62.183.50.---)
Date:   01-30-04 07:40

Anders!
She write:" Hello! I'm sorry, i not speak on english, but in the near future am going to to learn. Beside me all orderly. I student, learn in university on economic faculty. When I terminate, shall go to capital (stolichny sity) of my country - in city Minsk. Heard of Gomel or Minsk?"

Reply To This Message

Author: Anders  (---.skane.se)
Date:   01-30-04 09:22

Thanks!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Ken  (---.mn.client2.attbi.com)
Date:   01-31-04 13:45

This web site works well for translations from a lot of languages:

http://freetranslation.imtranslator.com/

It is free.

What profession is economic faculty in Russia? Would this be a business degree?

Reply To This Message

Author: Nils  (---.ppp1-2.td.tiscali.no)
Date:   03-28-04 10:12

You can also use AltaVista and "Babel Fish".

Reply To This Message

Author: Liliya  (195.158.6.---)
Date:   04-01-04 11:07

hello....
yes, Ken, economist can be a business degree.... :)

Anders, you can try to do translation and on this site www.translate.ru

Reply To This Message

Author: David  (---.sea1-4-5-060-136.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date:   04-01-04 11:31

Anders your letter says;

" Greetings. To ????????? I do not speak English, but in the near future I am going to teach. At me all is normal. I the student, study at university at economic faculty. When ??????? I shall go in capital of my country in the city of Minsk. Heard about Gomel or Minsk? "

Try freetranslations.com
or e-promt.com

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-01-04 11:33

as you can see electonic tranlations dont work very good. How it mistake' learn' for 'teach' I can't figure out.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-01-04 12:00

Irina hi!,
Maybe you could shine some light on this for me. I speak a little German, so I translated Anders message into it to see how it came out.and it translated the word 'learn' correctly. Is there something about Russian that would lead a computer translator to trans late incorectly?

Reply To This Message

Author: David  (---.orby.sth.bostream.se)
Date:   04-02-04 02:27

In swedish its the same word "to learn", both for learning and teaching. Probably the most common english error I hear swedes make is "can you learn me" or "I can learn you" something. Correct translation depends on the object, which can be a bit more complicated for a computer. Might be the same in russian.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-02-04 12:13

It's pretty big mistake though. I mean it really can foul things up. For instance. I just recieved a rejection notice from a girl I wrote to yesterday. I had sent my introductory letter to her in Russian using my online translater. I know that I should have done this BEFORE I sent the letter but I checked after I was rejected by her and it turned out that I had told her that I am A PLAYER . Gee, could that have had a negative affect?

Reply To This Message

Author: tann  (---.quantum.ru)
Date:   04-05-04 10:15

Hello!

Yes, David from Sweden explained the problem pretty well. "To learn" can be equal "to teach" in some cases in Russian. The meaning always depends on prefix and suffix of a word in Russian, quite complicated, what's why mechanical traslations are not perfect.
Just try to use simple phrases using these systems, it's the only way.

Reply To This Message

Here you are

Author: Igor  (---.n224.majar.com)
Date:   04-07-04 14:25

OK, here is a real translation because the above attempts make me feel sick (nothing personal, but as a professional translator I hate translation software that was obviously used because it gives out a lot of bulls… and creates a lot of misunderstanding):

“Hi. Unfortunately, I cannot speak English but I am going to learn it soon. I am doing fine. I am a university student majoring in economics. When I graduate I will go to the capital of my country, the city of Minsk. Have you heard about Gomel or Minsk?”

As for the mysterious subject of economics, it is a matter of different educational systems. The economics department of a university would typically teach future book-keepers and accountants but I am not sure.

Another example of possibly being rejected (this time by the man) as a result of poor Russian-into-English computer translation is “I’m bored with you” instead of “I miss you”.

Sorry this is so late.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-04 17:39

Hey Igor,
Glad to read your post. You are right about those translators. I have to be very carefull with mine but it is all I have untill my Russian improves. Where and how did you learn English?

By the way there is Russian woman looking for help to learn to speak English. You can find her thread on the Russian language forum. She is wondering if she can get an American to go to her for 6 months. You are closer. Check it out, mate. She might be perect for you.

Reply To This Message

I am engaged

Date:   04-07-04 20:52

Perfect - it depends on what you mean. She may be a perfect student, but other than that, I am engaged. It seems funny to me, but my fiancee responded to my ad at www.loveme.ru :-).

In two words, I learned (or rather learn) English by myself at home, listening to the BBC. I even wrote an article about it. It is in my web site, if you care to read.

Why is the thing all that you have? As far as I am concerned, there are translation agencies and freelance translators out there (I do not necessarily imply myself). Why not use them?

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-04 22:19

It all boils down to time and money,Igor. I don't want to take the time and I don't have the money to spend on the amount of idle chit-chat that I do. However for important communication I do use human translation. There is a large Russian/Ukranian Community here were I live.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-04 22:52

Igor, What is your web site? I would like to read your article.

Reply To This Message

I see your point.

Date:   04-08-04 02:35

As for my web site, it should be in my profile.
The article is located at http://www.igorkalinin.com/radio/englishbyradio.en.html

Reply To This Message

URL in profile

Date:   04-08-04 02:41

Wow, it wasn't there. Looks like they deleted it. I wonder why.

Reply To This Message

Author: Varun  (---.146.202.68.cfl.rr.com)
Date:   04-24-04 15:15

Hey David,

A good idea when you use the translation programs is to translate your words back into Enlgish after you have translated them into Russian. You will notice which words were not translated properly because in most cases they will not translate back to English correctly.

Igor, the site doesn't allow you to post URL's or email addresses on your profile because that way someone can get your real email address without subscribing to the site.

They'll probably delete your post once they see it too.

Varun

Reply To This Message

Author: Svetlana  (---.izhcom.ru)
Date:   06-21-04 04:16

I am a professional English- Russian translator and translation programs drive me mad!!! They often distort people's ideas which in the end can turn out to be quite the opposite thing. Why not use the service of freelance translators? Feel free to turn to me if you need to make an English-Russian or German-Russian translation.

Reply To This Message

Author:   ()
Date:   04-04-16 12:06

Intrested in u 2 9ice mitting u

Reply To This Message

Author:   ()
Date:   01-09-18 09:53

I'm a real person. If you want to talk to me, be polite, treat me as a person. If your opening line is what you'll do to me, I will block you. You may open this site http://sex-withme.com , register and find me. My nickname swett1992. After that we can continue...

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.