New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Ded Moroz

Author: Blaine  (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date:   12-30-05 09:29

Borrowed from Linda DeLaine in "Russian Life" website...............Whatever you call him, the Gift Giver of Christmas owes his existence and spirit of generosity to St. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra. Nicholas' Feast Day is December 6 and has been observed in Russia for centuries where St. Nicholas was once known as Father Christmas. St. Nicholas is, also, a Saint in the Roman Catholic Church. During the Soviet Era, the celebration of the Nativity of Christ was forbidden. But, the spirit of St. Nicholas endured in the person of Ded Moroz, Grandfather Frost.

The Russian Orthodox Church uses the Julian or old calendar, whereas most of the western world refers to the Gregorian calendar. The Julian places Christmas on January 7, on the Gregorian calendar; thus the Christmas season runs from January 7 until Theophany on January 19 (Gregorian). As a result of Martin Luther's reforms and the schism of the Catholic Church resulting in Protestantism (17th c.), the latter chose to not acknowledge St. Nicholas because of his close ties to the Church of Rome. Many non-church affiliated gift giver characters began to present themselves throughout Europe. Ded Moroz, or Grandfather Frost, came to Russia in the late 1800s, providing this country a counterpart to the Western, secular Santas.

Reply To This Message

Re: Ded Moroz

Date:   12-30-05 09:31

Merry Christmas to the people of FSU/CIS !!!!!!!!!!!!And Happy New Year!!!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (---.41.sitel.com.ua)
Date:   12-30-05 13:09

Blaine, you always bring some fresh streem into this forum!...I appreciate your interest and knowledge the history of our Russian Orthodox Church. Thank you for intersting story about origin of our favourite Gift Giver - Ded Moroz!
Happy New Year for you too and good luck!...

Reply To This Message

Author: Watt  (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date:   12-31-05 01:01

Happy New Year everyone !! :))

Reply To This Message

Author: Elena  (212.116.244.---)
Date:   01-01-06 15:20

Happy New Year to every man and every woman here!! And - also to meet true love in 2006 year!:)))

Reply To This Message

Author: Zhanna  (195.82.5.---)
Date:   01-01-06 17:42

Hello, I am glad that you are still here :-)! Happy New Year!

Reply To This Message

Author: James  (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date:   01-07-06 18:11

Happy New Year to all. Went to Kiev and wow.. awesome New Years fireworks display.
Also good to see you back around these parts, Blaine

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-07-06 18:51

Thanks for the welcome,James. I am glad to be back. Where the heck is my little buddy Jeff S ?I am jealous of him anyway--eating those South Carolina oysters ( the best are still from Washington state!! ) pig-pickin`,and catching huge catfish!! I am very happy to see Darya back too. I was so bored of this forum,and took a break from it. I keep trying to nudge our good moderator Natalia into sharing her opinons with the forum,but I think she is shy. About the fireworks....I love the nationalism and celebration in other countries. In America we have been legally reduced in our right to use fireworks. Here in Phoenix,the best fireworks you hear are the pop-pop of gunfire,and people yelling out the back door. I miss the old days when everybody celebrated openly,and were able to raise a little hell. Even the 4th of July is tame compared to the way it used to be.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul  (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date:   01-08-06 10:22

I still prefer Harry Karry doing the seventh inning stretch tune of 'take me out to the ballgame', I really miss it.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Subject:

Main | Member's area | Search | Gallery | Forum | Magazine | FAQ | Links | About Us |
Copyright © 2003-2014 New-Dating.com. All rights reserved.